If you suspect you need a tooth extraction here in Monroe Township, NJ, we can help! Of course, at Monroe Dental Arts, we strive to save your natural teeth whenever possible, but sometimes an extraction is the best way to protect your overall health, reduce pain, and protect your remaining teeth.
Conditions that Warrant a Dental Extraction
- Deep decay that affects your nerve – If decay reaches the nerve of your tooth and a root canal is not an option, you may benefit from an extraction to relieve pain caused by decay and infection and to protect your other teeth from decay. Additionally, severely decayed or infected teeth can lead to bone loss.
- Wisdom teeth that may cause overcrowding – Sometimes, wisdom teeth do not have enough room to erupt properly and require an extraction. Wisdom teeth that try to erupt without sufficient space may push against your other teeth and cause pain and misalignment. Not all wisdom teeth need to be removed – just the ones that cause a problem!
- Split or severely damaged teeth – In many cases, we can treat damaged teeth with a dental crown to relieve pain and to protect them from continued damage. Sometimes, however, teeth are so severely damaged or split down the middle that restorative dentistry is not an option. In these cases, we can remove the tooth and provide you with tooth replacement options to restore your smile.
- Orthodontics – Misalignment is often caused by overcrowding. When seeking orthodontic treatment, it may be necessary to remove teeth in order to create enough room for your braces to properly align your remaining teeth.
- Failed root canal therapy – Most times, a root canal can extend the life of your tooth by years, even decades! Sometimes, however, root canal therapy simply does not solve the problem. In such instances, we recommend extraction and tooth replacement with a dental implant or fixed dental bridge.