Are you having a wisdom tooth extraction performed soon? For many young adults in Monroe Township, NJ, wisdom tooth extraction is practically a rite of passage. When wisdom teeth are impacted or don’t grow in properly, you can experience discomfort, decay, crowding, infections, and other problems.
You probably have a lot of questions about both the procedure and what happens after, and we are always more than happy to discuss these with you and provide you with the answers you need.
Your comfort and safety are two of our top priorities, and we take them both very seriously. We’ll make sure that you are relaxed and that your procedure is painless.
Preparing for the next day or so will help your recovery go smoothly and have you back on your feet and feeling like yourself again quickly. Keep these tips in mind for an overall positive experience:
- Enlist the help of a friend: You’ll need a friend or family member to drive you home after your procedure. If you can, keep them around. They can assist you if you are taking medication that makes you feel groggy.
- Stock your pantry and fridge: You’ll want to avoid foods you need to chew, so having soft foods available is a good plan. Some great choices are smoothies and protein shakes. Yogurt, pudding, ice cream, lukewarm soups, and eggs are also good options.
- Take your medication as directed: Whether you are taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatories or prescription medication, follow Dr. Virdee’s instructions. If you are prescribed antibiotics, complete the prescription.
- Use ice packs and saline rinses: These can help relieve swelling and soreness.
- Don’t drink beverages through a straw or smoke cigarettes: The sucking action can dislodge healing tissue and lead to complications. Cigarettes also act to slow the healing process, increasing the risk of complications and infection. If you need help, please reach out to our practice so we can come up with a plan for you.
Call Your Monroe Township Dentist
We are here to answer any questions you have and address any concerns following your wisdom tooth extraction. Call Monroe Dental Arts at (609) 662-4406 to speak with a member of our team.