Even people who have impeccable dental hygiene habits can still experience problems with their oral health. Some of the foods you eat can be contributors in tooth decay, staining, and chipping. While you can still consume most of these items, it is best to do so in moderation, though your dentist will be able to give you more information on specific foods to avoid depending on your situation.
Foods That Cause Damage to Your Teeth
- Ice – While it is not food, there are a lot of people that chew ice. Not only can the cold cause your teeth to become sensitive, chewing on hard foods like ice can cause your teeth to become more prone to chips and cracks. It is best to avoid chewing and biting on ice altogether.
- Acidic foods – Any food with a high acid content such as citrus fruits and pineapple can make your teeth more susceptible to tooth decay. When sugar and acid mix with the bacteria in your mouth it creates the perfect solution for the erosion of your enamel. If you do eat these foods, drink lots of water during and after to help rinse the acid out of your mouth.
- Sticky foods – Sticky food and candy can become lodged in your teeth. When this happens it can be difficult to remove all of the food particles even with brushing and flossing. If you are going to enjoy dried fruit or other sticky foods, be sure to brush right after.
- Crunchy foods – A lot of crunchy snack foods like chips and crackers will also find themselves getting stuck in your teeth. They are also the main culprits in plaque buildup. If you are going to eat these foods, drink plenty of water and floss well afterward.
- Sugary drinks – Water can get boring after a while, but you should still try and avoid drinks filled with sugar such as juice, soda, and sports drinks. The high amounts of sugar will contribute to tooth decay and other health problems as well. When you drink these products, use a straw to help minimize the amount of time they spend in your mouth.
- Coffee and wine – While neither are particularly harmful to the health of your teeth, unless you add sugar to your coffee, they will cause discoloration. These stains can be difficult to remove even with regular brushing.
Cleanings at Monroe Dental Arts Can Help
The best way to keep your teeth healthy is by minimizing the consumption of harmful foods, brushing and flossing daily, and by visiting your dentist for regular cleanings and exams. If you are in the Monroe Township, NJ area and would like more information on foods to avoid, or to schedule a cleaning please contact us!