Have you recently been scheduled for oral surgery for a procedure like a tooth extraction or bone grafting? You may feel a little intimidated about the process, which is understandable.
But you’ll be comforted to know that oral surgery in Monroe Township, NJ is nothing to worry about. Helping you understand what’s involved and what to expect goes a long way toward helping you enjoy a comfortable, stress-free procedure.
Common Oral Surgery Procedures
- Simple tooth extraction – The majority of extractions are what is referred to as “simple” because the procedure is straightforward, and no incision is required.
- Surgical tooth extraction – A surgical tooth extraction requires making an incision to remove an impacted wisdom tooth or a tooth that has broken off below the gum line.
- Bone grafting – If you want a dental implant but don’t have enough bone in your jaw to hold it in place, your dentist would recommend bone grafting. This procedure involves grafting donor bone to build up your jaw bone and make implant placement possible in the future.
Oral Surgery Recovery
After your oral surgery in Monroe Township, NJ, your dentist will provide instructions to ensure a smooth recovery.
- Your body needs to recover, so plan to take the day off and go home and rest after your procedure.
- Some bleeding is common after oral surgery; bite down on the gauze pad provided to control bleeding.
- Take over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications as needed to relieve pain.
- Use a cold compress on and off your face at 20-minute intervals to relieve pain, reduce swelling, and minimize bruising.
- You can brush the night of your procedure, but don’t touch the teeth adjacent to the surgical site.
- Do not smoke or drink through a straw as the sucking motion can dislodge the protective blood clot that’s forming over the surgical site.
Your dentist will provide instructions that include more specific details about these steps; be sure to follow them exactly.
Call Us to Schedule an Appointment
If Dr. H.K. Virdee has recommended oral surgery at our Monroe Township dental office, you can be confident that you are in excellent hands. Please don’t hesitate to call us with any questions you have so we can help put you at ease about your procedure.